Wandering Around South Monterey County:
- Rows of Garlic bins were queued in the fields.
- Bean threshers were in flailing.
- Red bell peppers were glistening.
- Fennel was being picked in a patchwork of vivid jade and faded celadon.
- Brix (i.e. sugars) are increasing as the wine grapes hang heavy on the trellis.
Veggie fields resembled vitreous green shards impaled in the dry crust of the southern Gabilan hills.
Small, impoverished communities give testimony to tattered remnants of Victorian dreams of railroads, prosperity, and hope.