William Pinkerton laid out the town of Pleyto after he bought 13,100 acres of the Rancho San Bartolome in 1868. In 1870, a post office was established in the town. At its peak, Pleyto had a store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and school and was a stage stop along the old El Camino Real.51 The Pinkerton family built an adobe house on the rancho some time during the late 1800s and rented out the buildings in town.52
Today Pleyto is located under the San Antonio Reservoir.
Books and References:
Monterey County Parks Reconnaissance Survey of Agricultural Resources In The South County Planning Area 2008-2009
Certified Local Government Grant, October 2009, http://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/showdocument?id=37921