- There are about 2.1 million farms in the U.S.
- Tthere are about 912 million farm acres in the U.S.
- When permanent grasslands and timber are added, there are about 2 billion acres in agriculture in the U.S.
- Only 37% of Americans believe that most farms are family-run (That’s one of the findings from the International Food Information Council’s annual survey of consumers).
- In reality, over 96% of U.S. farms are family operations.
- 1940, the average farmer produced food and fiber for 19 people
- 2016, the average farmer produces food and fiber for 160 people.
- Less than 2% of the U.S. population is involved with farming;
- but 40-45% of all jobs are rooted in farming (I am not quite sure what this means…)
- In the U.S. farmers and ranchers earn $0.16 for every retail food dollar consumers spend.
Excerpts from Monterey County Farm Bureau, Farm Focus
Reposted from Jun 13, 2016 3:26pm Facebook Post