How Much Ag Land is California is Adjacent to Urban Land?
- California is roughly 101 million acres
- 43 million acres of land in California are devoted to Ag
- 16 million acres to grazing
- 27 million acres to cropland
- 3.4 million acres of California Ag land was within 1/3 mile of urban land in 2002 according to CDFA
- 2 million acres of California Ag land is no longer farmed because it is in areas that are too urbanized
- 40,000 acres of California Ag land is being lost to urbanization each year.
Source: 2016 Sustainable Ag ConferencePresentation, Ag Urban Interface Issues, Lottie Martin, Deputy Agricultural Commissioner, Santa Barbara County http://www.vineyardteam.org/files/resources/Martin%20L.pdf
Reposted from Facebook, November, 2016